Marriage Allowance- Are you missing out?

 A straightforward, one off claim to recover up to £662 in overpaid tax.

What is it?

We all get a personal allowance of salary which you don’t pay any income tax on. For 2017/18 this is £11,500 (£11,850 for 2018/19). If you don’t work or earn less than £11,500 per year you can transfer some of your personal allowance to your spouse. That means that the amount that they don't pay tax on increases a little bit, up to a maximum of £12,650.

 How much could I save?

The maximum amount you can save this year is £230. That’s if you don’t earn anything. If you earn a little then that saving scales down. However, you can backdate your claim to for the last couple of years too. You could get a cheque for the last couple of years too- up to another £432.

What do I need to do?

Pop over to the Marriage Allowance page here. There’s a few questions to fill out and you need your NI numbers and proof of identity, but it’s done on a straightforward online form. There’s nothing special to do if you want to backdate your claim either. It should happen automatically.

Follow me on twitter for quotes, tips and more.